HOUR Grant Applicant Guidelines
The HOUR Exchange is a non-profit organization providing education and tools to promote ecologically sustainable, community-based economics. To assist in reaching that mission, the HOUR Exchange allocates a portion of the HOURS issued that can be distributed as grants to community groups and individuals doing work that aligns with that mission. To load a .pdf of our grant application, click here.
TYPES OF GRANTS APPROVED:
In reviewing grant applications we will prioritize projects or organizations that help grow, nurture and strengthen the local currency system and/or supports local non-profits whose mission aligns with the mission of the HOUR Exchange.
For instance we favor projects that:
- Impact larger rather than smaller number of individuals.
- Expose and educate people about HOURS.
- Involve several HOUR Traders to utilize their skill or product.
- Benefit a non for profit organization or cause.
- Make a significant effort to provide a target audience with information about HOURS beyond a single event.
Project Examples: ask an HOUR Trader to play music at a festival; receive catered goods for a non-profit event from an HOUR Trader; hire laborers to help set-up an event; consult with a landscaper for advice on improving a community eyesore; buy produce to serve at a neighborhood gathering; etc.
- Grants must be used within six months. An extension may be requested, if needed.
- Individuals and groups are only eligible to receive one grant per year.
- For events, the host is asked to introduce HOURS and have HOUR Trader Newspapers available.
- Send a brief written or visual record (e.g. thank you note) showing how the grant was used in order to help us promote our partnerships.
- The maximum grant is 20 HOURS.
NOTE: Please allow 4-6 weeks advance notice since grants are made at monthly Board of Trustees meetings. Board meetings are generally in the first week of the month. Board Members with a conflict of interest with a proposed application are required to abstain from final decision-making on those grants.
- Complete the attached grant application (also available at www.hourexchange.org) and attached any other pertinent information.
- Submit application to the board by mail (HOUR Exchange PO Box 1534 Corvallis, OR 97339) or to a board member (call 541-224-7752 to contact the board chair).
- Stay in contact with the board chair regarding the status of your application.
NOTE: These guidelines are subject to change and will be reviewed and updated once a year, or as necessary to reflect the current priorities of the community and respond to the growing membership.